Brief History of Universitas Islam Indonesia
On the early of 1945, Majelis Syuro Muslimin Indonesia (Masyumi) was the federation of four Moslem organizations that its operation still permitted by the Japanese government, consists of Nahdlotul Ulama, Muhammadiyah, Islamic Union (Persatuan Umat Muslim), Indonesian Islamic Union (Persatuan Umat Islam Indonesia), declared about its resistance in politics and education. It formulated in two programs: (1) Forming the mujahid troops named Hizbullah, and (2) Establish the higher education called as Islamic Higher Education (Sekolah Tinggi Islam).
As the advance steps from that declaration, on April 1945, Masyumi conducted a meeting with Moslem leaders, the scholars and Religion Department. The meeting that also was attended by representatives from Islamic organizations finally concluded to form an organizing committee of Islamic Higher Education (Sekolah Tinggi Islam) later called as STI that consisted of:
Chair : Drs. Moh. Hatta
Vice-Chair : Mr. Suwandi
Secretary : Dr. Ahmad Ramli
KH. Mas Mansur
K.H Wahid Hasyim
KHR. Fatchurrahman Kafrawi
KH. Faried Ma’roef
KH. Abdul Kahar Muzdakkir
Writer : Karto Sudarmo
In a short time, the committee had have succeeded to arrange the basic rules and necessaries additional instruments in order to establish STI. The rules that prepared were general rules and statutes of STI, while the instruments that were generated are Wakaf boards, Management Board/curator, Senate and secretariat.
Member of Wakaf Board of STI
Chair : Said Wiratmana Hasan
Vice Chair : Sutan Sabaruddin (also appointed as treasury)
Secretary : Kartosudarmo
Members : K. H. Hasyim Asy'ari
Ki Bagoes Hadikusumo
K. H. Abdul Halim Iskandar
K. Ahmad Sanusi
Dr. Satiman Wiryosandjojo
Dr. Soekiman Wirjosandjojo
Aly bin Arief
Salim bin Nabhan
Chair : Drs. Moh. Hatta
Vice Chair : Mr. Suwandi
Secretary : Moh. Nasir
Members : Prof. R. A. A. Husain Djajadiningrat
Dr. Soekiman Wiryosandjojo
Baginda Haji Dahlan Abdullah
Ki Bagus Hadikusumo
H. Rahman Tamin
Rector Magnificus : KH. Abdul Kahar Mudzakkir
Members : K. H. Mas Mansur
Prof. Dr. Slamet Imam Santoso
Mr. Sumarang Singodimedjo
Prof. Mr. Sunardjo Kolopaking
Dr. A. Ramli
Drs. Adam Bachtiar
Ustadz Zabili Hasan
K. M. Zen Djambek
Secretary : Drs. Moh. Hatta
Vice : Prawoto Mangkusasmito
Treasury : A. Zaenuddin
Taken place in Central Immigration Office Building, Gondangdia Jakarta, STI was officially opened on July 1945, coincided with Isra Mi’raj ceremonial of Our Last Prophet Muhammad SAW, on 27 Rajab 1364 H
Several months after independence proclamation on August 17, 1945, in 1946, NICA was conducted another attempts to land in Indonesia with Netherland’s specific mission. Since the situation in the Jakarta was considered unsafe, the capital city was moved to Yogyakarta. Hence, STI was also moved to Yogyakarta on following considerations:
1. Jakarta was under unsafe situations
2. Most of the lecturers and the boards’ members were holding strategic positions in government that had to follow dislocation of Indonesia’s central government
STI was officially re-opened on April 10, 1946 located in nDalem Pangulon Yogyakarta and attended by the President, Soekarno. The Vice President that was also Chair of STI’s Curator Board was presented a speech entitled “The characteristics of Islamic Higher Education” that later well-known as Memorandum Speech of Moh. Hatta.
The Transformation of STI to Universitas Islam Indonesia
Under the spirit of independence that motivated Moslem community in Indonesia to perform modern university, hence on November 1947, it was formed the committee of STI’S revitalization that consist of: K. H. R. Fatchurrahman Kafrawi, K. H. Faried Ma`roef, K. Malikus Suparto, Mr. R. Sunardjo, Drs. A. Sigit, K. H. A. Kahar Muzakir, Ustadz Sulaiman, Ustadz Husein Yahya, Kartosudarmo. After four months, decisions were declared:
1. Establish a university named Universitas Islam Indonesia (UII) as new form of STI
2. Universitas Islam Indonesia is a Wakaf Board that lead by a body called “Management Board”
3. Universitas Islam Indonesia is situated in Yogyakarta
4. Universitas Islam Indonesia had four faculties, Faculty of Islamic Religion, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Education and Faculty of Economics
5. Management Board will prepare General Rules and statutes for Universitas Islam Indonesia
6. Management Board will arrange curriculum, program duration, leveling and title grants
7. Management Board will appoint professors for each faculty
The realization of STI’s transformation to UII was initiated by the opening class that formally presented on March 1948 in nDalem BPH Purbojo’s hall, Ngasem, Yogyakarta. The official grand opening of Universitas Islam Indonesia was conducted on 27 Rajab 2367 H or else on March 10, 1948 M, taken place in nDalem Kepatihan Yogyakarta.
Brief History Faculty of Industrial Technology
Universitas Islam Indonesia was developing. In 1975, Textile Technology Department was initiated. It was one of the Departments in Engineering Faculty Universitas Islam Indonesia. In 1977, Textile Technology Department was expanded to be a Faculty of Textile Technology that run two departments which were Textile Engineering and Textile chemical.
In 1982, Faculty of Industrial Technology was established, that made Universitas Islam Indonesia run three Faculties with Engineering background, which were: Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Textile Technology and Faculty of Industrial Technology. In 1985, under the government’s policy, it was ruled that a university only allowed for having one Faculty of Engineering. It caused the integration of all engineering background faculties in UII under Faculty of Engineering based on Decree letter of Mendikbud RI No. 0174/O/1983 jo No. 0336/O/1984 with two departments, which were: Civil Engineering Department and Industrial Engineering and Management Department that had two study programs, which were Industrial Engineering and Textile Technology.
In 1990, Textile Technology program study was granted the acknowledged status by government under decree letter of Mendikbud RI No. 0397/O/1990. While, In 1993, Industrial Engineering study program earned equated status under the decree letter of Mendikbud RI No. 0508/O/1993 dated August 16, 1993. Based on decree letter of Mendikbud RI No. 25/Dikti/Kep/1993 dated May 10, 1993, Faculty of Engineering was divided based on its knowledge background: Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning and Faculty of Industrial Technology, whereas Faculty of Industrial Technology was consist of two departments, Industrial Engineering and Management Department and Textile Technology Department.
In Academic year 1994/1995, Informatics Department was opened, with a status of registered based on decree letter of Dirjen Dikti Depdikbud RI No. 04/Dikti/Kep/1995 dated January 17, 1995. Eventually, textile technology earned its equated status by changing the name to Chemical Engineering Department with two program study concentrations: Chemical Engineering and Textile Technology under decree letter of Mendikbud RI No. 433/Dikti/Kep/1995 dated October 11, 1995. Since then, Chemical Engineering Department offers two concentrations, which are: Chemical Technology and Textile Technology.Electrical Engineering was founded in academic year 1997/1998 with Electrical Engineering Program Study, focused in Electronics engineering under registered status, based on decree letter of Dirjen Dikti Depdikbud No. 215/Dikti/1997 dated July 24, 1997.
Mechanical Engineering Department was established in 1999 to complete the existence of other department in Faculty of Industrial Technology, it specialized in manufacturing. In 2007, Post-Graduates program also initiated, by establishing Industrial Engineering Magister program that have offered two concentrations: Industrial Management and Industrial Engineering. The first official lecture was conducted in January 13, 2007.
Since then, in academic year 2009/2010, Faculty of Industrial Technology, Universitas Islam Indonesia also offers Magister Program of Informatics with two concentrations: Medical Informatics and Enterprises Information System that rules under Faculty’s Post-Graduate Program.